Are You At Risk of Vitamin D Deficiency?
Aching bones, mild depression, always tired? You could be deficient in vitamin D! Lower levels of this essential vitamin can result in depression and poor calcium absorption – some cancers are also associated with a vitamin D deficiency. It’s very difficult to get adequate levels of vitamin D from food, so taking a high quality vitamin D supplement is the best way to make sure you’re getting enough D.
Are you at risk? Below is a list of common risk factors for vitamin D deficiency.
- Individuals who are obese or overweight. There’s no change in vitamin D production in people who are obese, however, because vitamin D is fat soluble and becomes “diluted” in overweight people, those carrying extra weight need additional amounts of vitamin D to make up for the difference.
- People with dark skin are at higher risk for deficiency. The darker your skin the more sun you need to get the same amount of vitamin D as a fair-skinned person.
- People who spend a lot of time indoors during the day. For example, if you’re housebound or work nights.
- People who cover their skin all of the time. For example, if you wear sunscreen or if your skin is covered with clothes.
- People that live in the North of the United States or Canada. This is because there are fewer hours of overhead sunlight the further away you are from the equator.
- Older people have thinner skin than younger people and this may mean that they can’t produce as much vitamin D.
- Infants that are breastfed and aren’t given a vitamin D supplement. If you’re feeding your baby on breast milk alone, and you don’t give your baby a vitamin D supplement or take a supplement yourself, your baby is more likely to be deficient in vitamin D.
- Pregnant women.
Make sure you’re getting the right levels of vitamin D with PhytoD 2000, formulated by Dr. D’Adamo, that includes a unique combination of vitamins D3 and K and is compounded with Epimedium and Drynaria-two traditional Chinese herbs with long historical usage in the support of bone and connective tissue health. Phyto D 2000™ also includes Vitamin k2 and Strontium which help maintain strong, healthy bones and promote joint flexibility.