Oil Pulling for Health
Oil pulling, an ancient Ayurvedic folk practice, dates back 3,000 to 5,000 years to traditional Indian medical remedies. Advocates claim swishing any type of oil in your mouth every day will whiten your teeth, reduce bacteria, strengthen your gums and jaw, improve your skin, clear your sinuses, prevent ?bad breath and even protect against heart disease.
While we’re not advocating that you stop brushing and flossing, adding oil pulling to your oral routine certainly couldn’t hurt. Simply add a tablespoon of cold pressed oil, such as sesame or olive oil, and swoosh it around in your mouth for about 10-15 minutes, then spit it out.
According to oil pulling advocates, there are many benefits to oil pulling, including:
- Overall strengthening of the teeth and gums and jaws
- Prevention of diseases of the gums and mouth, such as cavities and gingivitis
- Prevention for bad breath
- Potential holistic remedy for bleeding gums
- Prevention of dryness of the lips, mouth and throat
- Possible holistic treatment for TMJ and general soreness in the jaw area
What’s our take? Go ahead and give it a “swirl” it can’t hurt and it could possibly do some good!