Recipe: Hearty Vegetable Soup
As autumn’s chill sets in, a hearty bowl of soup is like a welcome friend – warm, comforting and chock full of health benefits! Here’s a recipe for one of our favorites!
- 3 med leeks, trimmed and cubed 1-inch pieces [or onions]
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled, cubed 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium turnip, peeled, cubed 1-inch pieces
- 1 small parsnip, peeled, cubed 1-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups broth [chicken, beef, or vegetable]
- 3/4 cup sherry [optional]
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 large stalk of celery with leaves, sliced
- 1/2 cup or more of baby spinach leaves
- 2 5-inch sprigs of rosemary
- sea salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- In a dutch oven, add vegetables and seasonings to 6 cups of water, plus 6 cups of beef, chicken, or vegetable broth and sherry.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer with lid for about 30-45 minutes.
- Note: Many different root vegetables will work in this versatile, homey soup. Fennel can be used in the place of or in addition to one of the other root vegetables, for example.
- For a heartier meal, add diced cooked turkey breast, or cooked rice to bottom of soup bowl before placing soup into bowl.
Lean, Green, and Clean Dinner BowlMarch 7th, 2014
Lemon Ginger Salmon RecipeFebruary 27th, 2014
Versatile Turkey MeatballsFebruary 20th, 2014
5 Blood Type Friendly Ways to Spice Up Your MealsFebruary 18th, 2014
Pasta With Broccoli RabeFebruary 16th, 2014